Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My summit attempt up K2, sorry I mean Mt. Bessey

It is February 1st and I think I am ready. I am set up at base camp packing my lunch for my second summit attempt up Mt. Bessey. We are checking our gear, and cross referencing different weather patterns that could affect our bid to make the summit. My team consists of Corey Brown whose enthusiasm makes up for his lack of experience. Our support crew that will be monitoring our progress consists of  Mason, Theron, and Tucker. I'm afraid they don't have the attention span to keep us out of trouble. It looks like we will be on our own, no oxygen, very little support and some serious vertical to overcome.

I'll post pictures of our hopefull successful summit, if we make it back. In the meantime check out this this video from Ursus films documenting the 2009 expedition to K2 by alpinist Fabrizio Zangrilli and his crew. They attempt to climb the famous mountain in Pakistan on the 100th anniversary of the Duke of Abruzzi's trip up K2.
One stat that that is frighting about this mountain; 1 in 4 climbers that attempt to summit K2 don't survive.





If you like what you see you can watch the second part on You Tube. If this type of video inspires you please go to Ursus Films and help support their venture of bringing these stories from the top of the world to you.

Wish me luck.

Update 1:20 pm: Unfortunately do to some above average temperatures, rain and a support team(my 3 cats) that all went for a nap our expedition up the hill in my backyard has been postponed until next week.
Remember no adventure is too small.


Jeremy


No comments:

Post a Comment