Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Did you pack your skirt for your mountaineering expedition?







I posted pictures of guys in their underwear yesterday, so I figured today I should have girls in skirts. Not just any skirt but an insulated skirt.
Now I know what many of you are thinking "Why in the hubs of Hades would anybody need a skirt with insulation? Well that is exactly what I thought when I first heard about them. That, and if it is cold enough to wear insulation, won't Old Man Winter be able to sneak up your skirt and freeze your Snuffleufapuss? After some research I discovered there may be an application that doesn't seem as ridiculous as your high school history teacher collecting discarded spitwads for a "project" he was working on. 

Ladies, picture yourself on the slopes for a day. After some great turns you head to the lodge for an apres ski refreshment(or 4). It's too hot to wear your wet, snowy ski pants. The idea of walking around in your long underwear inevitably conjures up visions of that creepy ski patroller, with the Robert Goulet mustache, checking out your ass at every opportunity. Enter the insulated skirt, much like a sarong or beach wrap you can cover yourself up and keep your buns warm while still looking reasonably fashionable.

Disclaimer: I am not a fashion critic, I do not understand fashion, why it exists, and the exact purpose of it. I wear a t-shirt virtually everyday, on cold days I wear a sweater over a t-shirt and they are either blue, green or white, usually blue.

Other outdoor adventures this type of skirt could be used for are Nordic skiing, running, hiking...you get the idea. If you are trolling for a man in the backwoods of your local conservation area, an insulated skirt screams "I'm sexy and know how to keep my undercarriage warm". We have all seen runners in cold weather wear skin tight pants and shorts over top, really what's the difference? When you think about it a couple generations ago women wore skirts almost every day. In the summer they would wear light airy ones and in the winter heavy wool skirts. As much as this is a new trend, it has been around longer then at first glance.

SkhooP Scandanavian clothing has a whole line of insulated skirts for those cold nasty days when you want to be fashionable(see disclaimer above) and stay warm. They have a waterresisant short down skirt.

This skirt has a two way zipper on one side, and a zipper from the bottom up to the hip on the other to allow for more movement in higher aerobic activities. With 500+ fill down you can give Old Man Winter a flurry of rabbit punches to the solar plexus.




 The classic Hella skirt with waterproof/ breathable nylon and 80g of insulation. Wouldn't you be talk of the campfire sporting one of these.




Other big names are also getting into the act with Sierra Designs making this ultra cool Gnar Insulated Skirt.
Lole, a great women's clothing company that blends technical and causal elements seamlessly, is entering this insulated skirt market this coming fall. Keep an eye out.

You may not jump on this bandwagon just yet, but hopefully you can appreciate where it is going.

After discussing underwear and skirts the last two days I think it is time to get into some hardcore superfly gear tommorow. Stay tuned...

Jeremy

outdooradventuregearhead@gmail.com

@jeremygearhead

1 comment:

  1. before the age of 18, I swore I would never wear skirts. then came along a line of patagonia skirts and dresses. I'm proud to say that I own more than one and have embraced the trend even on a few canoe trips. however I don't know if this "legless" fashion will deter from creepy ski patrol around the ski lodge giving women a once over. ; )

    ReplyDelete